Saturday, February 26, 2011

My favorite book


Seriously 30 day blogging challenge?; when will these grade school 'getting to know you' questions end?  (Sighs loudly) I suppose I'm obligated to answer this one too, since I am committed to finishing this challenge and all.  So ..... day 4 ..... my favorite book.  In order not to be redundant and simply list the last 5-10 books I read, I will actually contribute something substantial, an actual favorite book.  
When I first picked up The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, I really had no idea what to expect.  Honestly from the back cover description it looked like your typical housewife fluff filled with insurmountable obstacles by a quirky but relatable heroine which she miraculously overcome in a less than realistic turn of events.  Of  course since I am citing this as ONE OF my favorite books you can follow the predictable plot and conclude that I was wrong.  The Glass Castle  is actually an autobiography of Walls childhood which was, to say the least, highly unusual.  Her parents are their own class of hippie and honestly the fact that Walls and her siblings survived to adulthood alone is an heroic feat.  Despite what anyone would consider textbook neglect and borderline abuse by the parents, you find yourself understanding them and even admiring, in a twisted way, their parenting techniques.  
Overall, a book that left a permanent impact on me and I highly recommend you pick it up if you get a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers